B'nai B'rith-sha'ar Zion Hospital in Jaffa (1891-1921) : The first Jewish Community Hospital in Palestine Academic Article uri icon

abstract

  • For Israel'sJubilee Year B'nai B'rith-Sha'ar Zion Hospital inJaffa (1891-1921): The FirstJewish Community Hospital in Palestine SHIFRA SHVARTS UNTIL THE BEGINNING OF THE 1880s, THE JEWVISH community ofJaffa-an ancient Mediterranean port dating back to Biblical times, situated today adjacent to the city of Tel Aviv-comprised no more than 650 people.'Most were Sephardi2Jews who eked out a livelihood. The only source of medical assistance in the late nineteenth century was the 16-bed Christian Mission Hospital which opened its doors in 1880. The hospital, however, was in the practice of closing down during the summer months. Moreover, the few foreign doctors staffing the hospital charged high fees for their services, beyond the means of the overwhelming majority of the localJewish community. The arrival of the First Aliyah3 in 1882-the first wave ofJewish …

publication date

  • January 1, 1998