Near fatal acute colchicine intoxication in a child. A case report Academic Article uri icon

abstract

  • Unlabelled: An 8-year-old child with familial Mediterranean fever exhibited signs of colchicine intoxication while receiving prophylactic doses of the drug. She developed gastrointestinal, central nervous system, cardiovascular and haematological disturbances. Over 2 months she had been drinking high doses of natural grapefruit juice which, combined with long-term colchicine therapy and a viral upper respiratory tract infection, increased her susceptibility to the drug. Conclusion: To the best of our knowledge, this is the first time colchicine intoxication in this age group has been described in the English literature.

publication date

  • November 1, 2000